What to Expect
Check-in begins at 9:00 AM on the Sunday of the week that your reservation begins. Earlier check-in times are not available.
- Check-in: To check-in, go directly to your assigned residence hall. Please bring valid photo identification and, for non-NYU students, have your proof of COVID-19 vaccination status available, if needed.
- Helpers: Although our current guest policy does not allow residents to host guests, you are permitted to have one person assist you with your initial check-in.
- Keys: You will receive your room keys (and mailbox key if applicable) and information packet upon check-in at your residence hall.
- NYUCard: If you submitted your photo at least one week prior to your arrival, you will receive your NYU ID card at your residence hall upon arrival (subject to change). You can submit your photo at the photo submission link.
Reservations are held until the Thursday following your Sunday check-in date. Please contact your residence hall resource center if you plan to check-in later than the Thursday of your check-in week. If you fail to check in by Thursday or provide notification to Summer Housing that your arrival date has changed, your reservation will be canceled with a $500 fee.
Maps & Directions
If you are planning to use the bus or the subway, you should download a transit app for your smartphone or consult a New York City Transit Map. See our Getting to NYU page for detailed directions to the NYU campus.
Parking is not provided and commercial garages are expensive. Bringing a car to New York is not advised, but if you do opt to bring a vehicle, please see this list of garages located in the NYU area.
Residence Hall Orientation
Residential Life and Housing Services will be sponsoring a virtual information session to review NYU policies and procedures related to residential living.
During this 30 minute presentation, hall staff will provide an overview about living in NYU Housing; including available services, residence hall staffing, and important policies and procedures. This is a great way to better acquaint yourself with summer living at NYU and meet your neighbors!
Following the presentation, there will be an opportunity to ask questions.
NYU ID Card
The NYUCard (photo ID) is a multi-purpose photo identification card issued to all NYU residents. This card allows access to the residence halls, dining halls, athletic facilities, and administrative buildings.
You are required to obtain your NYUCard within 72 hours of your initial arrival on campus.
Residents who are not able to obtain their NYU ID Card upon check-in will be issued a temporary ID card to be shown with photo ID, which is valid for 72 hours only.
Your NYUCard will identify you as a member of the NYU community and should be carried at all times.
The NYUCard will allow you access to:
- Your assigned residence hall
- Bobst Library (if you are classified as a student and currently enrolled in classes)
- NYU dining facilities (when applicable)
Submitting Your ID Photo
Non-NYU applicants should submit their photo electronically at least 1 week prior to the beginning of their reservation so their NYUCard is ready for pick up on their check-in day.
Picking up your NYUCard
Residents can pick up their NYU ID Card at their residence halls upon arrival. Those who do not submit their ID card photos in a timely manner will need to visit the NYU Card Center for pickup. Located at 7 Washington Place, the NYU Card Center is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM.
Hall Validation Stickers
Once you have obtained your NYUCard, please go to your Residence Hall Resource Center to obtain a hall validation sticker. This sticker will have an expiration date (your scheduled date of check-out) printed on it.
ID Replacement Fee
Please note: Electronically submitted photos will not be accepted from former residents who have not turned in their NYUCard from previous affiliation with the University. A replacement fee will be charged for cards not turned in.